June 06, 2006

Bookstore Buddhists

“What’s that you’ve got there?”

“Pema Chodron. Do you know her?”

“Oh, Pema Chodron, she’s wonderful! She writes so clearly, she has such goodness and gentleness. And you know Charlotte Joko Beck?”

“She’s great. A little colder, though, you know what I mean?”

“Yeah, cold, but she really makes you face things. For warmth I like to read Jack Kornfield.”

“He’s wonderful! So, do you practice somewhere here in town?”

“No, I’ve never really been into a formal practice.”

“Me neither.”

“I tried it once, but, I don’t know. The people there -- and it’s not really – I mean, the leaders, I don’t know how much esteem I actually have for the ones around here.”

“I know what you mean. Hey, I’m gonna be over there checking out the fantasy for a while.”

“Oh, you like fantasy? Me too. Do you like Neil Gaiman?”

“Of course! American Gods! Did you read that? But you know who I’m liking lately? Susanna Clarke.”

“Susanna Clarke! Yes, and you know who else -- ?”

Labels: