March 19, 2007

Offspring of the Famous

Here's a really nice article about a famous writer's son who achieved literary success on his own, practicing his craft for years, suffering the rejections that come with the territory, even changing his name in order not to use it for advantage -- because he understood that it would hurt him as a writer to do so. I admire this young man, and I'm eager to read his book.

In contrast...

PS: An agent or publisher would be crazy not to let Joe Hill's cat out of the bag, and the Times article hints that that may have happened. But based on the information presented, I believe that Hill tried his best not to capitalize on his father's fame. And I don't even think he would have been wrong to capitalize on it -- I would have, in his place. That makes him stronger than most of us.

Labels: , ,