January 26, 2005

The Favorite

There was once a man who had five daughters, each as splendid as the next. He loved them all equally and made sure never to say anything to any of them that might show favoritism.

The girls grew up into fine young women, perfect in every way but one: they were jealous of their father’s attention. At various times, each in turn was suspected by the other four of being his favorite. The hard feelings caused by this suspicion estranged the sisters from one another. The father was disappointed, for he had hoped his daughters would always remain great friends.

Then he came up with a plan. When the eldest was visiting him one day, he took her aside and said, “I’m going to tell you something I’ve never told anyone else, and I don’t want you to tell anyone else either. Especially not your sisters.”

When she promised not to divulge the secret, he whispered into her ear, “You are my favorite.”

The heart of the eldest was immediately gladdened, and after returning home, she was more loving with her sisters than she had been for many years.

Then the father invited each of the other daughters in turn to his house, and during each visit he took the young woman aside and said, “I’m going to tell you something I’ve never told anyone else… You are my favorite.”